Preparing for The Walk -- Rainy Day Gear

10 weeks to go until the San Francisco's Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure®, and I'm starting to think about what I need to take on my 3-day journey. I've been walking around England for several weeks now, and around here there's always a big chance that you'll end up walking in the rain. October in San Francisco is usually cool and dry, so it's unlikely that we'll be seeing any rain during the walk, but having to walk in wet weather has certainly gotten me thinking about some things I might want to pack in my 3-Day for the Cure equipment bag:

* A baseball cap -- having that peak is important for me because I wear glasses. Even a small drizzle can get really annoying; without that peak, I'd need a mini-windshield wiper to keep my lenses raindrop free!


* An extra pair of shoes -- Of course I'll be packing one pair of socks for each of the 3 Days that I'll be walking, but I never really thought about throwing in a couple more pairs, and even an extra pair of walking shoes, just in case they get damp in a drizzle or drenched in a thunderstorm..


* A rain jacket -- A couple of days ago we went to a free event and I picked up a goody bag that contained a lightweight rain slicker. It will be the perfect thing to take to the 3-day walk! Having said that, a friend of mine who walks half-marathons all the time has a different solution -- she likes to take along a plastic garbage bag liner, cut out neck and arm holes and wear it like a potato sack. She says it keeps her from getting chilled in the early stages of the walk, before she warms up, and keeps her dry in case it rains. When she doesn't need it anymore, she simply tosses it into one of the garbage bins lining the route. I'm tempted to follow her example and swap the rain slicker for a garbage bag. However, next week we'll be traveling around Paris -- and seeing all the chic, well-dressed people walking around might just strike shame into my unfashionable self and cause me to change my mind.







Energizer is sponsoring my participation fee and fundraising requirement for this event, but I would love to be able to raise more for breast cancer. Please help me reach my goal of $1000! Any amount helps and is greatly appreciated. You can click on the widget below to donate to the Susan G. Komen foundation.
Help me reach my goal for the Susan G. Komen San Francisco Bay  Area 3-Day for the Cure!

No comments: