Walking Around Paris

Earlier this week Alfie and I took the kids to Paris, and just like on our previous trip to Amsterdam, we shunned taxis and buses in order to explore the city on foot. 3Po, Jammy and The Pea were real troopers: we were on our feet for two full days, nonstop. Oh, I'll admit we chickened out and ascended the Eiffel Tower via elevator, and hopped aboard the funiculaire (cable car) to get to the Basilique du Sacre Coeur. But we climbed every one of the 206 steps it took to get to the top of the Pantheon:



And the views of Paris from the top made it all worthwhile.


We roamed the streets of Paris, searching for La Maison Berthillion, which sells the best ice cream in Paris:



We roamed the cemeteries, searching for Oscar Wilde's grave:


We wandered through the underground tunnels of the Paris Metro, connecting from train to train in order to get to various points around the city.


We even went around the Place de l'Etoile (where the Arc du Triomphe is located) and down the Champs Elysees, desperately searching for a toilet.



Unfortunately we couldn't find any -- apparently the police have closed down all the public toilets and there were no pay toilets nearby, so Alfie freaked out at a Metro employee and managed to get access to the Metro employees' toilets -- but at least this Energizer Keep Going Blogger got a good walk out of it. And since the San Francisco Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure® event is only 9 weeks away, I need all the walks I can get!


Energizer is sponsoring my participation fee and fundraising requirement for this event, but I would love to be able to raise more for breast cancer. Please help me reach my goal of $1000! Any amount helps and is greatly appreciated. You can click on the widget below to donate to the Susan G. Komen foundation.
Help me reach my goal for the Susan G. Komen San Francisco Bay  Area 3-Day for the Cure!

2 comments:

Elizabeth @ My Life, Such as it is... said...

I love Paris! I recommend taking the train to Versailles and touring the palace.

Unknown said...

We just returned from Paris too :-) I'm scared of heights, but oddly enough I did okay on taking the steps up the Eiffel!