Ready? (no) Set? (no) Well, go anyway!




This Nike Women's Marathon in October is shaping up to be one sweet run. No ordinary water cups, bananas and energy bars every couple of miles for this race, oh no. We're getting an Oxygen Bar! Chocolate station! Jamba Juice station! Pedicare Station! Finisher's Necklace from Tiffany's! No wonder the race sold out so quickly.

There's just one problem: I'm not ready. Working my way up to a ten-mile run -- a 6-mile run plus one mile walk plus three-mile run, actually -- was so painful, I lost one of my toenails (and another is barely hanging on by a toenail, pun definitely intended). New running shoes seems to have helped, but now I'm back to six or seven miles again. With five weeks to go.

I should probably be running the 13.1 miles in my sleep by now. What the heck. Wish me luck. I've got a lot of running to do in order to deserve that Tiffany's necklace and pedicure.

5 comments:

ShannanB said...

Wow. six -7 miles is nothing to scoff at. I'm sure you'll be up and ready to tackle the race. I'd sure be motivated by the Tiffany's necklace!!

Anonymous said...

You'll do great. Not to worry. Add 1 mile a week to that firm 7-mile base and you'll be golden. Just remember slow and easy wins the race (depending on your definition of "win"). I know you've got it in you. :)

Wish I could do it with you! (I just ran 13 last weekend)

deedee said...

Good luck! That's a great goal to work towards, and jeesh a pedicure station and chocolate? That might make even me run :)

Curatrix said...

You can do it! My half is on Oct. 14th and I'm hoping that I'll be ready. Maybe we can engineer a run together, as the distances increase, it's nice to have someone to push you and keep you going.

Unknown said...

Oh, oh, I so want to do this next year. When did you sign up? Let me know if you are signing up next year! Good luck!