Music to my ears

What is music? Does it need melody, rhythm or harmony? According to dictionary.com, music can also be "any sweet, any sweet, pleasing, or harmonious sounds or sound, i.e. the music of the waves". With that in mind, here are some of my favorite pieces of music:



My kids singing and jamming along to the band at our local summer concert;

The Flower Duet from Lakme (in my mind, the most exquisite opera duet ever);

The wind rustling through the leaves of a coconut tree on the tropical beach we plan to go to this December;

CleanBoy saying "You can leave now, mama" on the first day at his new preschool;

The Pea declaring, "I love school! And Mrs. M. is the best teacher ever!";

The sizzle of burgers and onions and mushrooms on the grill when we haven't had anything to eat all afternoon;

My sister's voice over the phone, telling me that her family is moving from Boise (3 hr. plane ride) to Pleasanton (40 minute drive);

Overhearing parents at school rave about the new school logo shirts (which I designed) and the new online storefront (which I created);

A slideshow of photos of my grandmother through the years, set to the music of James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" (I'm going to show it at her 87th birthday party this December);

Alfie checking me out in my new blouse, with a glint in his eye and a smile on his face, saying in his roguish English accent, "You look nice..."



For more music, click here.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the photo! It could also pass for the 'happy' theme. :)
Oh, and I can relate to the sound of sizzling food being music... it's certainly music to my ears right now. I'm starved.....

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you all had a great time. I am happy to see the kids really enjoyed the music. Have a good weekend.

Paulie said...

What an interesting take on this theme!

Come and see mine.

Anonymous said...

what an awesome shot--they look so content sitting there!!

SabineM said...

Very nice shot!
I love when my kids sing too. That is THE BEST music!
I also think it will be VERY SPECIAL for your grandma's 87th slide show to hear YOUR BEAUTIFUL! It is such a nice song. My favorite piece of Music is Cello Suite No 1 in G mAjor, BWV 1007, Prelude! Gorgeous. My daughter plays it for me!

jams o donnell said...

Lovely photo and a great post. Happy weekend

Anonymous said...

The smile says it all!

Thriftin' Gal @ Junk In My Trunk said...

Your post is so unique, I love it!

You're invited to come visit me at: Junk In My Trunk

Carver said...

Fabulous post. I love the photograph and your words too. Very musical from start to finish.

Anonymous said...

Great post for the theme. I absolutely love the tropical beach photo!

Happy Weekend.

Anonymous said...

The photo is lovely and all your music ideas are great. I especially like the one of your grandmothers pictures to Your beautiful. A lovely idea. Sara from farmingfriends

Anonymous said...

nice shot and a great post.

happy music hunting!

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Excellent! Children's noises may be irritating to the ear at times but mostly they are music to a parent's ears or maybe to a grandma's ears like mine.

Anonymous said...

Oh..beautiful entry! There's nothing more wonderful than hearing those kids cute voices:)

Mine's up as well!

Anonymous said...

Those are many pleasing sounds, indeed!

maiylah said...

what a sweet post! :)
loved that part when your CleanBoy said, "you can leave now, mama".
ahhh ... makes you feel good that you raised such a confident kid! :)

happy hunting!

Raquel said...

Looks like your children had fun. Nice shot!

Mine is up at Photographic Memories.

Moe said...

Great stuff! So many good "music" ideas!

eastcoastlife said...

It's all music to your ears, isn't it? hehe...
Happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. Love the boys in the concert.

Btw, hope your plan to visit would materialize. Would I get to see you? haha!

have a great weekend! :)

YTSL said...

"The sizzle of burgers and onions and mushrooms on the grill when we haven't had anything to eat all afternoon"

You got me all hungry with that comment there! ;b

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Wonderful photo! :) Two cuties enjoying the music. :)

My Music Photo Hunt.

Andree said...

that is such a beautiful post. you are right on every single thing. those things are the music in our lives.

PastormacsAnn said...

Lots of sweet music here. Great picks for The Hunt.