My Grand Bargaining Chip: The Grand Canyon

Next week I get to cross an item off my "Things to Do Before I Die" list -- we're going to the Grand Canyon, and we're all really excited.   The kids, especially 3Po and Jammy, don't really know what to expect, but they've been to Yosemite and loved it, so they're taking our word for it that the Grand Canyon is a trip worth getting excited about.  And when you're five years old, any excuse to jump on an airplane is still something to get excited about.  So I've been milking the Grand Canyon for all it's worth and getting some major parenting leverage off our upcoming trip:


Jammy, put your helmet and elbow pads and knee pads before you go out skateboarding.
But I don't need them!
Yes, you do.  Do you want to break a bone just before we leave for the Grand Canyon?
Oh, ok.


3Po, take your medicine.
But I don't want to!
Do you want to be sick when we leave for the Grand Canyon?
Okay, mama, I'll take my medicine.


Mama, can you buy me some candy?
You know, honey, we're going to the Grand Canyon next week, so we'll buy you a pack of gummi bears to chew on the plane.
Okay.


M & M's family went to Disneyland this summer.  I wish we could go to Disneyland too.
Well, you know, we're going to the Grand Canyon...
Oh, yeah!


This Grand Canyon had better be freaking AWESOME, otherwise my parenting credibility is shot.

No comments: