American Girl Place, NYC

Two weeks ago I got visited New York City for the first time in almost a decade. In the past, when I've traveled to NYC on business, I've always tried to spend some of my free time soaking in the best of what the city has to offer. This time around, I had about a day and a half of free time. And what did I do? I went to the American Girl Place on 5th Avenue. This is what being a parent does to you. I could have seen a play on Broadway, or gone for a run in Central Park, or walked among the beautiful works of art at the Met, but no, I had to go and look at overpriced dolls and fantasize about buying the whole lot for The Pea.

But enough about my ambivalent feelings about American Girl; this is supposed to be Wordless Wednesday. Here are some photos of the store.


American Girl Place
Other than a few souvenir items, this AG Place has the same stuff as the AG Place in Chicago (I actually posted photos of my visit to the American Girl Place in Chicago several Wordless Wednesdays ago) . Only the layout and the storefront displays were different (although I'd guess the displays change periodically and it's likely that the displays in Chicago are identical to the ones on NYC at the same point in time). I personally like the storefront of the Chicago branch, with it's tall glass windows.



AGP NYC storefront display, Oct. 09
It's nice to see the Golden Gate bridge. Not so nice to see Julie's 70's pantsuit. I have vivid memories of wearing clothes that looked even more hideous than that.




nyc_0027
I love this little witch's outfit. It almost looks as though I could sew it myself.



Doll Holder
This is something you don't see in your everyday public toilet stall: a place to hang your doll. I was enchanted enough to take a photo (I did make sure I was alone in the restroom because I didn't want people to think I was some kind of perv). I suppose a doll holder takes up less space and breeds less germs than a doll toilet alongside the real one.



nyc_0037
I love Kit's treehouse, and I'd love to put this under our holiday tree this year. But we'd need to buy a bigger house in order to store it. And we'd need to be rich enough to buy a bigger house in order to be able to afford to buy the treehouse.



For more photos of the American Girl Place in NYC, check out my Flickr photoset. And click here for more Wordless Wednesday entries. Finally, please leave the link to your WW post below, I promise I'll drop by!

6 comments:

Sukhmandir Kaur said...

Do girls still play with dolls? I was looking around at some of the things my granddaughter will b growing into like a stuffed pony bigger than she is and ditto giant teddy bear I wondered what will she do with this stuff, it would require lots of make believe and imaginary friends. She seems to people oriented. Well just musing. be sure to let us know if you do buy the bigger house to accommodate the doll treehouse ;)
Happy WW

LifeRamblings said...

great collection of pictures. i'd love to visit NYC someday. Happy WW!

Anonymous said...

I wasn't much of a doll person growing up. I preferred books. But this collection would bring back childhood memories in a snap. Happy
WW!

tiarastantrums said...

my girls love the one in Chicago!! My bank account does not

Mrs. M said...

That store is fantastic! I could do some serious damage in there!

lisa@gardenofmany said...

I have to admit I had no idea what American Girl was tell I seen it on Jon &Kate. I hope you have a great WW.