Food For the Gods



Food For the Gods is one of my favorite desserts, but it wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that no one outside the Philippines really knew what it was. Huh? It's not an American/European dessert? But we don't even grow dates or walnuts in the Philippines! 

As they say, once you know better, do better. And now that you know Food For the Gods exists, you simply must try it. The best way I can think of to describe it is that Food For the Gods has the taste of Sticky Toffee Pudding, which also has dates, and the texture of a Blondie, which is a chewy bar cookie. The recipe handed to me by my aunt has a TON of butter. In the interest of heart health, I've experimented and had success with using 3/4 cup butter instead of a whole cup. Enjoy!

1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 cup sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 handfuls walnuts
1 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates

Mix together the first 4 ingredients in a mixer.
Sift together the next 4 ingredients and add to the first mixture.
Gently mix the walnuts and dates into the mixture.
Pour into a square 8x8 pan.
Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Enjoy!


No comments: