Whoooo-at is this?



Our first Halloween project -- little flaky owl biscuits. The kids loved helping with this one -- it's easy for them to pinch the horns and beak, attach the beaky nut and squirt out the cheese for the eyes.

I got the idea from Pillsbury's Halloween Ideas cookbook (Classic Cookbooks #328) and modified it a bit -- it's now a savory snack without any cinnamon or sugar in it, and squirty cheese spread instead of chocolate for eyes. I couldn't find the recipe on their online collection, so I'm typing up my savory version of the recipe (italicized text is mine, plain text was lifted verbatim from the recipe book):

1 can (8 oz) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
8 almonds
1 can Kraft Easy Cheese processed cheese food in a can

  • Heat oven to 375F. Remove dough from can; do not unroll. WIth serrated knife, cut roll into 16 slices. Make sure the dough is really chilled and firm before slicing; you might want to pop it into the freezer for the last couple of minutes. Also, I used Safeway crescent rolls -- the rolled dough is longer and thinner than the Pillsbury stuff, making it easier to cut the rolls into slices.

  • For each owl, use 2 dough slices. Unroll a 2-inch strip from each slice. Place slices on ungreased cookie sheet with sides touching and 2-inch strips at top center. For owl's horns, fold strips i nhalf and bend toward outer edges; pinch strips at fold, forming points. I just stuck two circles together and used my fingers to pinch up the horns . Then I pinched the bottom center of the owl's face to make a beak, and pressed an almond onto it. I guess that's why my owls don't look as good as the ones in the recipe book photos.

  • Bake about 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. The almonds are probably going to fall off, so when the owls are cool, reattach the almonds using the squirty cheese. Also use the squirty cheese to pipe two owly eyes.

For my Halloween parties, I usually make cheese sandwiches and cut them into Halloween shapes with cookie cutters. These owls will make a nice change.

1 comment:

Gattina said...

They look ugly delicious ! just perfect for Halloween, lol !