Happy Birthday Graham!

Update: Below is the final version of the cake, just before it was devoured by five hungry people. I decided it looked too plain, so Natalie and I added strawberries around the edge for a cute floral look. Then Natalie lent the cake some of her little plastic fairies. It does look more like a cake for a 6-year-old girl than a middle-aged man, but then again Graham has never been afraid to stay in touch with his feminine side :) Anyway, we did all LOVE it.



Happy Birthday Graham!! For my chocoholic husband's Nth birthday, we woke him up with a box of chocolate truffles from Joseph Schmidt. It was a real treat for the kids to each have a luscious truffle each BEFORE breakfast. Later we will surprise him with this chocolate cake, made and iced with love by yours truly.

In the past, we've pieced together cakes as a kids' project and disguised all the flaws with mounds of candy decorations (making the dessert far to sweet for grownups' taste). This year I've actually put in the effort to make a two-layer cake from scratch (ok, the cake was actually a cake mix but I doctored it up, and the icing was 100% homemade, I swear!). It looks like something the resident dog at the Ace of Cakes might have made, but I'm proud of it as my first stab at a real cake. Oh and both icing and cake taste delicious (I snuck a taste), so regardless of how it looks, I know my husband will love it!

For more expressions of love, click here.
Share this :

7 comments, leave yours here:

Mom2One said...

Well it looks yummy!!

PastorMac's Ann said...

OOoooo, chocolate truffles before breakfast - love indeed. That looks like a great cake. The strawberries and decoration really make it look great.

meredith said...

That's a sweet way to show your love :)

sognatrice said...

Ooh! What a fun (and I'm sure delicious) cake! Happy Birthday Graham!

Ninotchka said...

I'm impressed! Homemade cakes are always the best. Happy Birthday to your sweetie.

Curatrix said...

Happy Birthday, Graham! The cake looks super yummy. Can you guess who I am? Come visit my blog - I've finally cracked and joined the fun.

jkeepbreathing.blogspot.com

Foto said...

Happy Birthday sweety chocolate I love it too :)