How to Decorate Mickey Paintball Rice Krispy Treats with Royal Icing Transfers

Mickey Mouse rice krispy treats

Any time there's a party in our household, there's a good chance that it's going to include rice krispy treats.  They're easy to make, they don't cost much, and we could eat them all day.  I knew I wanted to serve rice krispy treats at 3Po's paintball party/DisneySide party, but I didn't want to make another set of Mickey head rice krispy treats like I did at last year's DisneySide party. Fellow DisneySide blogger Dawn recently posted about how she uses waxed paper, buttercream, and an image printout to create amazing buttercream designs, and I decided to use that technique to create some royal icing designs to decorate my rice krispy squares. Here's how I did it:

First, find your design and print it out on a sheet of paper.  I wouldn't recommend anything too intricate, especially if you're a beginner!  Artist Simon Phipps very graciously allowed me to use his Mickey Paintball drawing for my party (please note: if you want to use Simon's drawing for yourself, please ask him for permission!), so I decided to use Mickey's head with his paintball mask on.


Cover a chopping board with waxed paper and slide the printout underneath.
Mickey Mouse rice krispy treats



Carefully outline the design with royal icing, tinted black. I used royal icing with a piping consistency and a Wilton tip #3 (#2 would work as well but if the icing is too stiff, the tip clogs up annoyingly often).  Let the icing dry thoroughly.  And when I say thoroughly, I mean thoroughly!  I left mine to dry for 24 hours. I repeat: Make sure the icing has dried completely before moving on to the next step.
Mickey Mouse rice krispy treats



Fill in the area around the eyes with royal icing, tinted flesh. I can't say it often enough:  Make sure the black icing has dried completely before you begin this step.  
Mickey Mouse rice krispy treats


I used royal icing with a flooding consistency so it spreads easily.
Mickey Mouse rice krispy treats


Fill in the rest of the design with royal icing, tinted camouflage green. Yes, I know, it looks super messy, but don't worry...
Mickey Mouse rice krispy treats


.... if you life the waxed paper carefully and take a quick peek, you'll see that the reverse side is a pretty darn good replica of the printout!  Now that your curiosity has been satisfied, put the waxed paper back down and let the icing dry.  I sound like a broken record, but let the royal icing dry thoroughly.  I laid the icing on pretty thick, so I left it to dry for 2 days.
Mickey Mouse rice krispy treats


Cut the waxed paper into individual squares.  Now it's time to bring it your rice krispy treat squares!
Mickey Mouse rice krispy treats


Spread some royal icing on top of the design.
Mickey Mouse rice krispy treats


Place the design on top of the krispy treat, wax paper side up.
Mickey Mouse rice krispy treats


Carefully peel off the waxed paper.  Let the icing dry overnight.
Mickey Mouse rice krispy treats


The Mickey heads looked amazing!  They were the perfect finishing touch for the rice krispy squares, and they really tied in to the Mickey paintball theme. The kids loved that they could eat the design (because what kid doesn't like royal icing?).


More DisneySide party posts:


Pin It

No comments: