A Bittersweet Mother's Day

I found out five minutes ago that a friend lost her battle with cancer. She was a single parent with three children, ages 15, 13 and 7. Her youngest was Jammy's classmate. She passed away last night, the day after Mother's Day.

I will always remember her as one of the most cheerful people I've met, always smiling and always ready to greet me with a hug. Health issues aside, she was one of those women you would look at and marvel, I don't know how she does it. Looking back, I'm thinking I know how she did it -- her kids gave her the strength. I think she hung on for as long as she could, for them. Her two older children were so mature and well-behaved, keeping their apartment immaculately tidy and politely thanking us whenever we dropped off a dinner for them. Her youngest always greets me with a smile when I pass her in the hallways, just like her mother. She raised them well.

A month ago I felt the pain of a mother who had lost her child. Today my heart is aching for three children who have lost their mother. I'm so glad they got to spend Mother's Day with her.

:(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss. That is a real shame. Prayers!