Getting a running start to 2011

I can feel it. Yes I can: this is the year I'm going to put running back into my lifestyle. Two years ago my plantaar fascitis hurt much too much for me even to consider it; it improved so much last year that I have to admit laziness was the bigger reason for me not lacing up my running shoes more often. So this year I'm going to work on running and walking on a regular basis. And because having an event to train for is such a powerful motivator for me, I've got my eye on quite a few races for 2011:


Juana Run
(8k) -- March 12, Palo Alto

Bay to Breakers (12k) -- May 15, San Francisco

Redwood City 4th of July Fun Run
(5k) -- July 4, Redwood City

Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure (60 mile walk) -- Sept. 9-11, San Francisco

Nike Women's Half Marathon
(13.1 miles) -- October 2011 (date not announced yet), San Francisco

Silicon Valley Turkey Trot (5k/10k) -- November 24, 2011, San Jose


I've registered for a couple of them already, but I'll need a bit of luck to get into some of the others (i.e. the Susan G. Komen, which has a fundraising requirement of $2300, and the Nike Half, which is so popular that participants are selected via lottery). If I don't get to do all of those, there are a ton of other great events, so I won't have to worry about lack of motivation. It's time to lace up my sneakers, charge up my iPod and hit the road!

You can read more about some changes I plan to make to my lifestyle in 2011 on BlogHer, where I'm currently hosting the Jimmy Dean D-Light "Better for You" program (and where 25 other bloggers are giving away $100 Visa cards).

No comments: