Pain-free Labor and Other Secrets of Motherhood

Some secrets are meant to be shared, and none more so than parenting tips. I don't think any parent could have survived the infant and toddler years without picking up some secret survival tips from more experienced parents, right? So in the interest of passing this vital knowledge on, I am more than happy to share some of mine, such as:
  • How we taught our boys to bike without training wheels at age 3 (they do have a great sense of balance but the Kettler Balancing Bike will help any kid learn)
  • Where I got those cute matching clothes for my kids (Disney store and Gymboree make great coordinated outfits for brothers and sisters)
  • How I've amassed so many good toys for my kids (I buy gently used stuff from Craigslist and the local moms' club email group)

Not that I'm the perfect mom or a know-it-all. On the contrary, I still feel like a rookie at this parenting thing. In fact, I would really appreciate it if someone could let me in on some of their own parenting secrets, like:
  • How you survived your labor without an epidural
  • How to stop my kids from whining when I say, "No, you can't watch any more TV"
  • How to iron clothes, especially puffy-sleeved dresses
  • Where to find more of my daughter's favorite solid-blue, long-sleeved Lands' End dress (they only make'em in prints now)
  • How to get back into the workforce after years of being a stay-at-home mom.
  • How I do it (people ask me this all the time like having 3 kids makes me a multitasking expert, but heck if I know the answer)

But there are some secrets that I will never reveal. You can tickle me, you can force me to do the laundry every single day, and you can even (gulp) pull the plug on my internet connection, but you will never get me to tell you:
  • Which aspects of parenting I disagree with my husband over (if any)
  • Which grandparent my children like the most
  • Which child is my favorite
  • Where I keep the Christmas presents
  • Where I keep my emergency stash of chocolate

Sorry, but some things are just for me to know! It would be a far less interesting world if we couldn't keep a secret or two :)

For more secrets, click here.

15 comments:

Regina said...

Hm... do they make that balancing bike big enough for adults? That's my secret! I never learned how to ride a bike!

Anonymous said...

This made interesting read. We do need to share most of these tips.

paris parfait said...

Yes, some things are best left unsaid - especially the location of the secret stash of chocolate. :)

Anonymous said...

Well done post on "I Have a Secret." I enjoyed it. Thanks.

Kayt Ludi said...

I loved your post, and your site - thanks for stopping by mine :)

Nicole Pelton said...

A great nurse, and swearing you will never go drug-free again right before the baby's born, although it's not much of a secret :) I might just check out that bike.

Gill said...

Great post. I agree with you that some secrets are best left untold.

Tina said...

What a great idea. I have no kids, but it´s a good idea to share this. The TV thing, i always say my niece -she is 3- to long watching tv is not good for her eyes. Or i say, let´s go outside.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Great take on this. I'll definitely be coming to you for spilled secrets if/when the time comes ;)

Daily Panic said...

with kids, part of parenting is deciding which of their secrets are worth keeping...

Annie said...

I enjoyed your take on this topic, and I agree that some secrets should be passed on to others. In fact, how would the human race progress otherwise. Nice post.

Patois42 said...

Enjoyable post, but you've broken the vow of parenthood by admitting that you have a favorite child, even if you won't say which one it is.

lisrobbe said...

I'm a fairly new mom (three year old). This was a great post. I love advice from the mom's who have been there done that because it gives me direction.

Anonymous said...

They couldn't get my chocolate stash's location out of me at gunpoint.
I hope the grandparents don't read your blog LOL!
As always I enjoyed my little trip to Bongga Land.
Best Wishes,
Frances

mom2ag said...

You just need a greater fear of a needle in your spine than labor pains to do it epidural free. *hehe* And a husband (or midwife) to press on your lower back to relieve the back labor. Sorry, haven't written much lately, I don't get internet access daily..... and even when I do, I'm carrying G and can't type.