New Year, Old Resolutions

Like most people, every year I make a list of New Year's Resolutions. In fact, I even blogged my New Year's Resolutions for 2011, 2010, and 2009. This year, I've decided not to continue the tradition, for two reasons:

1) I already have a list I've been working on: my Forty Before Forty list of things I want to accomplish before my big 4-0 birthday. With 5 months to go, I'm almost halfway done with my list, and I'm actively working on a few of them. In fact, I could have crossed off another item -- #22, see elephant seals -- had I not totally forgotten that we had a booked an Ano Nuevo seal walking tour on New Year's Eve. In my defense, we were exhausted with our ski trip and kitchen renovations, and besides, there were tons of soccer games that we wanted to watch. Oh, well, at least the money went to California's park service, goodness knows they need the money!

2) More importantly, I'm in a really happy place right now. Somehow, making that Forty Before Forty list galvanized me into action, and I feel more in control of my life than I have in a long time. I feel like I've gotten my weight under control (well, that's a work in progress). I'm happy with my blogging. I feel like I'm contributing towards the family finances. The kids are growing up to be decent (albeit messy) human beings. My relationship with Alfie couldn't be better. I have a lot to look forward to this year: my 40th birthday, The Pea's graduation from elementary school, the boys joining a competitive soccer team, lots of home improvements, trips to the UK and the Philippines. I've got enough tasks already without adding any grand 2012 resolutions to the list!

I'm not saying I'm perfect; goodness knows there's a lot about me and my life that could stand improvement. But all in all, I'm content with my lot and feel like life is going in the right direction. So if I had any New Year's resolutions to make, it should probably be these:

* Keep checking in to make sure my life stays on course
* Remain thankful for all the great things in my life
* Make it a point to appreciate all the wonderful people who are making it so.

Ah, I knew I couldn't last without making some kind of a resolution! Happy New Year!

No comments: