Gratitude Challenge, Day 2; The Gratitude Alphabet



It's Day 2 of the Gratitude Challenge, and already I tried to cheat involve the rest of the family. Today's instructions were to make an A-to-Z list of things to be grateful for, and I thought it might be fun if the kids helped. Unfortunately, they were too busy playing with their cousins to take much notice.



Fortunately, inspiration came in the form of a beautiful Gratitude Journal that came as part of our Gratitude Kit. It has pages and pages of blank space -- over a hundred, in fact -- just waiting to be filled. Each page has a quote on gratitude, and if whoever compiled all these quotes could find over 100 things to say about gratitude, then so can I. So here's my Gratitude Alphabet:

A -- How convenient is it that my husband Alfie is first on this list?
B -- Blogging saved my sanity, and I wouldn't be here today without it.
C -- Chocolate keeps Alfie in a good mood.
D -- Okay, I admit it: I'm one of those women who's ecstatic that she has a daughter. Not that having sons isn't wonderful. But you know what I mean.
E -- I've experienced a big earthquake -- and gotten through it safely.
F -- I've got friends who care about me, what more can I ask for?
G -- My latest breakfast obsession, Greek yogurt and honey, is healthy and yummy.
H -- With the recent furor over healthcare, I'm so glad we have health insurance.
I -- I've got the best in-laws ever; you'll get no monster-in-law stories from me!
J -- I love how my son Jammy hums without realizing it, every second of the day.
K -- I'm amazed at the kindness that random strangers have shown me time and again.
L -- We didn't have much of a library when I was a child, so I'm happy that my kids have such a wonderful Children's Library nearby.
M -- I wouldn't mind more of it, but I'm grateful that we have never suffered for lack of money.
N -- Our little computer nook on the upstairs landing has the best view in the whole house, and it's my favorite place to be.
O -- I'm still so grateful that I was given the opportunity to appear in the Office Max back-to-school blogcast!
P -- The Pea can be a bossy big sister, but she actually plays with her brothers more often than she fights with them, and whenever we go out, she really has their back.
Q -- I treasure my quiet time whenever I manage to find it.
R -- I've got a big, noisy, interfering, caring bunch of relatives -- and I love them all.
S -- The public school system in Palo Alto is blessed with dedicated teachers and involved parents (the fact that so many of them are also internet millionaires with big hearts and big checkbooks is an added bonus!)
T -- My son ThreePo needs constant love and affection, but gives it in return.
U -- I have to mention Alfie again, because he's so understanding and supportive of my blogging (his only complaint is that I don't blog enough about motorcycles more, so I don't get invited to try out the latest bikes).
V -- My trusty van carries all my kids, their gear and even a playmate or two.
W -- The Bay Area has the best weather ever!
X -- Having an Xtra sink in the bathroom has been a marriage saver.
Y -- I don't have my youth anymore, but the memories are great!
Z -- Any time I get to catch a whole night of zzzzz's is a good night.

Keep a grateful journal. Every night, list five things that you are grateful for. What it will begin to do is change our perspective of your day and your life.--Oprah Winfrey

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I agree, weather in the Bay Area is the BEST! We lived there for a few years and loved it. We still visit every chance we get :)

jackie said...

I love the idea of having a 'grateful" journal. I was a teacher before I had kids, and one thing I did every day for 5 minutes at the end of class was to have the kids give "Shout Outs." Basically quick nods of appreciation: shout out to ned for helping me on the classwork, shout out to anja for not laughing at me when i tripped. You would not believe what it did for classroom culture! I am going to do the same thing with my kids when they are old enough -- shout out to each family member for something they did that day that was appreciated! :)

Nice to meet you, my name is Speed Bumpie said...

OK, "Z" was brilliant...that was the hardest one for me. X was easy because we just had our 10th anniversary...but Z, you hit it on the head.