One year ago, I realized that I'd be turning forty, so made up a list of 40 things I wanted to do before I reached that all-important milestone. Here's an update of how I've done:
1) Lose 15 pounds (and keep it off). I actually lost the 15 pounds by last October or so, but I've been hesitant to cross this off because it's a never-ending battle to keep it off!
5) Get a navel ring (or maybe a tattoo). I have to admit, I chickened out on this. I still don't think my belly is flat enough to justify drawing attention to it with a navel ring, and although I find myself wanting a tattoo more and more, my fear of scarring (I'm prone to keloids) still stops me.
7) Visit a new state. Oooh, so close! I was invited to a Ford blogging event in Michigan, but had to decline due to scheduling conflicts. This one is a must-do, so I'll have to plan a trip soon.
8) Visit a new country. We're visiting Belgium this summer, so I'll be crossing this item out soon. Hey, better late than never.
9) Go on a cruise. We played around with the idea of an Alaskan cruise, but with trips to the UK and the Philippines planned this year, our budget just couldn't cut it. Sigh.
10) Learn to sail.
11) Learn to knit.
15) Go on a trip with Alfie on his motorcycle.
16) Go on a trip with Alfie for 4 or more nights.
The closest we came to this was our wedding anniversary trip to Napa Valley in November 2011. We only stayed 1 night and we didn't take Alfie's bike, so I've decided this doesn't count and will redouble my efforts to accomplish this in the next year or so.
22) See elephant seals. This is probably the goal that I'm most frustrated about not completing, because I had our elephant seal walking tour all booked -- then promptly forgot about the whole thing. I didn't even realize we had missed the tour until a couple of weeks later! Oh, well, there's always next year.
23) See a whale. I didn't get to see a whale this year, but we did see some dolphins swimming just off the Santa Cruz harbor on Christmas day.
24) Spiff up my blog. Okay, I didn't exactly give either of my blogs a makeover, but I did update my About Me page.
28) Get highlights.
35) Get my kids to like Indian food. I
38) Beat my sons at Wii Fit Soccer. Never even came close. And I doubt that I ever will. I think I will file this particular goal under "desperate to prove I'm still hip and cool at 40" and get over it.
40) Figure out what I want to do in my next decade. Still working on this!
|Share this :|