Drunken College Students, cavewomen and 40 other things I saw at Bay to Breakers

It seems like people who turn forty always want to prove that they're no older or more decrepit than they were at 39 -- in fact they want to prove to the world that they're fitter, hotter, wilder, than they were the year before.  I guess I'm no exception, because I signed up for the 2012 Bay to Breakers determined to improve on last year's finish time.  But as always, I slacked off on training in the months leading up to the race and decided to walk the race instead -- and as always, ended up running it anyway.  The good news is that I managed to shave off a couple of minutes from my finish time  (1:18:51, down from 1:21:31 last year), even though I literally stopped dead in my tracks for 2 or 3 minutes to primp and groom myself before the race photographers started taking photos (I needed proof that that I was fitter and hotter than last year).

Really, the only difference between this year and previous year's races was that I left my cheering squad (aka Alfie and the kids) sleeping at home, and took the train up to San Francisco by myself for the first time.  Since I live near Stanford University, I boarded the train with hundreds of college students, already knee-deep in beer at 5:30AM (come to think of it, they may have been drinking all night).  It was fun riding up to the city in a train full of costumed people!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one other tiny difference between this year and previous years:  for the first time ever, I decided to run Bay to Breakers in costume. All these years I've run Bay to Breakers in boring old shirts and shorts, so I really wanted to let loose, enjoy the party and have fun.

Like I said, turning 40 does seem to make people a bit crazy, and I'm just like everyone else.  Fortunately everyone around me at Bay to Breakers was just as crazy, so I fit right in.


Since I'm celebrating my 40th birthday, here's a list of 40 characters I saw at Bay to Breakers this year.  It's by no means a complete list; in fact, I've left out all the characters I mentioned in my 2011 Bay to Breakers post, as well as all the generic superheroes, men in dresses, men in hawaiian shirts and colorful outfits that appear every year -- but it's enough to give you a sense of the wild and wacky people that run this race.

<-- The Lorax
<-- Truffula Tree

Kevin, the Wildernes Explorer from Up
Marge Simpson
Jane Fonda
drag Jane Fonda
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Strawberry Shortcake
Pippi Longstockings
Marge Simpson
Dutch boys
German bar girls

<-- Awww.... 2 people in love

Nerds in love
Couple in sock monkey pajamas (also in love, I suppose)
Hazmat crew
Betsey Ross
50's sock hop girl
Man in coconut bra and grass skirt
Zombie Cheerleaders
Boy scouts
Sexy referees

<-- Umm... how would you describe him? Guy in a mohawk?

Housewives in curlers
Cavewoman (that would be me!)
Boys from Ipanema (in speedos with "Ipanema" printed on the butts)

Bonus photo -- I know I said 40 characters, but since it wouldn't be Bay to Breakers without the naked guys, I had to include a Naked Guy for 2012:

Pin It

1 comment:

Asianmommy said...

How fun! Congrats on your achievement!