The Food of Love: Chocolate Covered Popcorn

Chocolate Coated Popcorn

Every year, the kids' school hosts a bake sale benefitting a charity chosen by the kids (they take it to a vote at their Monday assembly). And every year I like to help out by baking something that the kids at school can buy (see a photo of the Chocolate Crinkles I made for last year's sale). Ever since I bought my beloved Kitchen Aid mixer, The Pea has really gotten into baking, and she can now whip up a mean batch of chocolate chip cookies all by herself. She was quite excited to take over bake sale duties for 2011, but alas, life (as in, dance class) got in the way, so we had nothing to contribute.

But I don't fancy myself the MacGyver of bake sales for nothing. I had a bag of kettle corn that I had bought for our Superbowl Party but had never got around to using. I had candy melts in my cupboard. I had semi-sweet chocolate chips. Et voila, chocolate-covered popcorn!


I swear, this is the easiest treat ever. All you need is:

1 8-oz. bag of Kettle Corn
1 cup red candy melts
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark cocoa candy melts

1) Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and spread the popcorn on the sheet (you will need at least 2 large sheets).

2) Microwave the red candy melts until well melted (start with 1 minute at 50% power, then do 30-second intervals at 100% power until melted, stirring well between microwave zaps).

3) Place the candy melts in a pastry bag, or in a plastic ziplog bag with a tiny bit of one end snipped off (you can melt the candy melts in the plastic bag).

4) Squeeze the candy melt over the popcorn. Be generous! Melt more candy if you have to!

5) Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 with the chocolate chips.

6) Let the popcorn cool until the candy and chocolate has hardened. Break into pieces.


The red candy melts make this the perfect Valentine's Day snack. Okay, the chocolate helps, too. Enjoy!

1 comment:

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

YUM! That is exactly what I want for Valentine's Day! Maybe I'll send this to my hubby. ;)