Cooking with Alfie
Today the blogosphere celebrated National Moms Nite Out, and what a special night it was for this mom! Alfie and the kids cooked dinner -- his signature dish, pasta with sauce (okay, it's actually his only dish; other than frying eggs or sausages or tomatoes, he pretty much leaves the cooking to me).
1/2 box spaghetti, cooked and drained
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium onion, minced
2 medium tomatoes, cubed
1/4 lb. chicken or canned tuna, cooked and flaked
1/2 jar red pasta sauce (we used Ragu Old World Style Margherita)
salt, pepper, oregano, basil
1) Sautee garlic and onion until the onion is semi-translucent.
2) Add tomatoes, chicken and sauce, and simmer on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
3) Add spices to taste.
4) Do not empty the whole jar of oregano into the mixture.
5) Do not cough into the mixture.
6) Do not touch flames, hot pans, or hot stove.
Oops, those last 3 steps were added for the benefit of my kids. They're usually banned from getting within arm's reach of the stove (precisely for those reasons), so they were delighted to be allowed to lean over the stove and shake all kinds of condiments into the sauce.
And what do you know, they made a delicious pasta dinner!
Here's the video of my family's culinary feat for all to enjoy. Hey Emeril, eat your heart out -- try making pasta with 3 kids beside you!