Opening a new door: Bedtime Math


This is usually the time of the year when I like to get crafty.  I think the start of the school year and the excitement of October and Halloween gets my creative juices flowing.  Whether it's a Lego  minifigure organizer or Halloween decor or Halloween costume how-tos (for both dolls and humans) or a dessert recipe or school lunch ideas,  my post output always tends to be higher in the fall.


Not so this year. There's a distinct lack of craft and recipe themed posts at the moment.  Why?  Partly because I'm busy, partly because I'm lazy... and partly because I've been saving some of my crafty posts for a new blogging gig that I've been fortunate enough to land!

Yes, yours truly is the proud new contributor to BedTime Math, a site that helps parents integrate math skills into their kids' everyday life.  The founder, Laura Bilodeau Overdeck, gave her kids fun math problems for her children to solve at bedtime; those math problems (and more) have been published into multiple books, an app, and a website.  The website has a daily math problem with variations for preschoolers, grade schoolers, and middle schoolers.  There's also a parent blog filled with activities, games and crafts that introduce math concepts and develop math skills in a fun way. That's where I and the other Bedtime Math writers come in!

When I found out there were openings for writers, I knew this was something I could totally get behind. My favorite subject in school was math (that's why I chose an engineering major in college!), I also have a creative side. When The Pea was a toddler, I taught an afterschool math class, where I had fun playing math games with my students. I was delighted to receive an invitation to contribute!

Below are some of the crafts and activities I've blogged about on Bedtime Math (and here's the full list):

Bedtime Math post


Bedtime Math post


Here's a sneak peek at my upcoming post on Bedtime Math: Paper Plate Weaving!
Bedtime Math post


Don't worry, I don't intend to completely neglect my blog.  I do have some great crafty posts planned -- Halloween is coming up, and this year I'm encouraging the boys to make their costumes instead of buying them.  There are also a few cookie recipes I want to try (in preparation for the upcoming holiday cookie party season!).  Of course, planning those posts in my head and actually writing them out are two different things, but I promise I'll get them done eventually!


Pin It

No comments: