How I rescued The Pea's Cupcakes, or How I turned a Bad Morning into a Good Blog Post

I knew it was going to be a bad day as soon as one of the kids entered our bedroom and tattled on a sibling that had spilled milk all over the kitchen. Having to go downstairs to make sure everything was wiped up properly is not the way I want to be woken up. I warned my kids they'd better be on their best behavior from now on, as this was sure to keep me crabbers for the rest of the day.

I think the fates must have decided to punish me for my little snit by showing me how much worse my day could get, by tripping me up as I was walking the kids to school with various class party supplies in my arms.

Of course, it had to be the cupcakes that fell. Not the hard-boiled eggs. Not the doughnuts. Just the nicely frosted cupcakes that The Pea had stayed up late to make so she could celebrate her birthday with her classmates.

Fortunately, only half the cupcakes were ruined, and none of them spilled out onto the pavement. I rushed home to grab some leftover frosting and a spatula and return to school thinking I could re-frost them outside The Pea's classroom. In my harried state, I didn't even think to take the cupcakes home and re-frost them there. Of course, that's what I had to do in the end -- there was no way I could re-frost them without wiping off all the smudged icing first and getting new cupcake liners. So back home I went.

By this time, the frosting had softened, and I couldn't spread the frosting without getting crumbs all over the top, so I decided to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes instead of spreading it. And I'll be darned if the patched-up cupcakes didn't end up looking even better than the ones that didn't fall down:



As I was piping icing and stressing out, I thought to myself, These cupcakes really do look cute now -- I might as well get a blog post out of this. So I did, and here it is. Getting all that stress out of my system and onto my blog cheered me immensely.

Since I had to walk to school and back three times, I was even able to get my daily 30 minutes (actually, 45) of walking today. What's more, I passed by the school's lost-and-found closet on the way out, and found a couple of lunchboxes and jackets that my kids had lost a couple of weeks ago.

So it turned out to be a good day, after all.

In the future, whenever I'm having a shitty day, I'm going to repeat this mantra over and over again:

There are no bad days. Only good blog posts in the making.