Summer Movies I'm looking forward to

Summer is shaping up to be a low-key affair for the Bongga family this year. Next year we plan to be in the UK for the 2012 London Olympics (fingers crossed that we'll be able to get tickets to some of the events!), and we'll probably be flying to Manila for the holidays, but the only things we've got planned this summer are a couple of summer camps, visits to Great America and a camping trip or two that I haven't booked yet. We'll be enjoying lots of long, lazy summer days at home, at the pool, in the car (for some day trips) and in the cool confines of the movie theater. And thanks to Megan Smith's latest movie post on BlogHer, I've been given a rundown on all the hot summer movies of 2011. Here's what I'm looking forward to:


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2. Book 7 is my favorite of the series, so I'm really hoping they make the final scenes butt-kicking and blockbuster-worthy!

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. I'm sad that Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly won't be back as Will and Elizabeth, and I'm not Penelope Cruz's biggest fan, plus I'm sure I've never seen even a hint of a mermaid on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland.... but I'd brave anything to see Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow! Please let Keith Richards come back as Jack Sparrow's dad!

The Hangover Part II. I never thought I'd enjoy a goofy male-bonding comedy as much as I enjoyed The Hangover, but Zach Galifianakis and Ed Helms (see, Alfie, I told you he's part of The Office cast!) left me in stitches.

Kung Fu Panda 2 and Cars 2. Hey, it's summertime and the kids will want to see some movies too, won't they? I'll just have to suck it up and see these animated movies with them. I won't enjoy myself, of course. I'm just doing it for them. Not because I love these two movies, of course not. Yeah, right.

Any superhero movie. To me, summer movies are all about mindless, feel-good entertainment, with a boy-gets-girl, good-triumphs-over-evil story (actually that's probably the case for me at any time of the year). So which one should I choose? Thor? X-Men? Green Lantern? They're pretty much interchangeable for me. I suppose I should take a peek at the trailers and see which male lead looks the hottest in tights.

No comments: