Old or young?

I don't think about aging much. Why should I? I don't consider myself old. But sometimes I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, or come across and old photo of myself, or look at The Pea, and I realize how I'm not the girl I used to be. All of a sudden I find myself slathering on heavy cream every night, making sure I don't sleep on my side so that I don't get "pillow wrinkles" on my face the next morning, and wondering how much better I'd look if I had a neck lift. Here are ten signs that remind me I'm getting old:


1) I fall asleep in front of the tv at night.
2) Roller coasters make my head hurt.
3) I'd rather lounge beside a swimming pool than swim in it.
4) My knees/ankles/heels hurt in the morning.
5) I find Peeps and jelly beans too sweet.
6) I constantly forget where I put my keys and purse.
7) I've found myself wondering whether I should plan my own funeral.
8) I hate rompers, neon and any other 80's comeback style. Been there, done that, and it was hideous.
9) I remember when (I've Had) The Time of My Life was more than just the chorus in the Black Eyed Peas' The Time (Dirty Bit).
10) I "got" this video instantly:





And yet..... my mind doesn't feel old. I still feel like the same person I did when I was ten. You know how they say forty is the new thirty? Sometimes it feels like forty is the new fifteen. So here are ten signs that I'm still young at heart:

1) I wear shirts with the labels sticking out behind my neck, and my husband always has to tuck them back in.
2) I like most of the songs on my daughter's iPod (I do draw the line at Justin Bieber).
3) I giggle when my husband tells naughty schoolboy jokes.
4) I refuse to cut my hair off and adopt the middle-aged woman layered short crop.
5) I eagerly await the release of every Disney animated movie and drag my kids to the movie theatre when they come out.
6) I adore Disneyland.
7) I never refuse a slice of birthday cake (even though it shows up on my hips the next day).
8) My current reading list includes The Secret Series, The Kane Chronicles, and The Heroes of Olympus series (and I'm dying for the next book in each of those series to come out!).
9) I dress up in costume every Halloween (and wish I could go trick-or-treating with my kids, not just chaperone them).
10) I still try to catch snowflakes on my tongue.

No comments: