Great Mammaries from Day 2 of the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure

End of Day 2

Don't let the smile on my face fool you. I won't lie to you, Day 2 of the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure in San Francisco was, um, how shall I put it?

TOUGH.

The day started out cold and foggy, which is NOT what you want when you're walking across the Golden Gate Bridge. Still, looking down into the San Francisco Bay and seeing a dolphin weave its way in and out of the water kind of made up for it. So did walking through the charming town of Sausalito. I felt fine until mile 15, when my legs really started aching, and despite a great massage at the Energizer tent, they still haven't recovered from today's walk.

I'm still optimistic that a good night's rest (and more ibuprofen) will get me through Day 3, but I'm going to take it Very. Very. Slow. I will make sure I stretch and hydrate at each and every stop, and rest as long as I need to. I may even hitch a ride on one of the sweeper vans (not because I need to, oh no, only because I'm blogging the event and I have a journalistic interest in how the sweeper vans pick up walkers who can't go on, which doesn't include me.... does it??). Anyway, who cares if I'm the very last person to finish? I'm the Energizer Keep Going Blogger, and I need to keep going.

Instead of focusing on my aching calves and quads and hamstrings, I'd rather focus on the people who made the day more enjoyable -- the cheering squads and crew members along the route. It's amazing what an energy boost one gets from seeing so many people out there to support you!


3DayCheers
This trio showed up at various locations throughout the day, no less than SIX times. By the end of it I felt like we were fast friends.


2010-10-02 08.50.02
These hotties had the funniest slogans on their posters. I know they were probably there to support their girlfriends but when you're delirious with exhaustion and pain it's easy to convince yourself that they're there for you.


Coast Guard
The Coast Guard showed up all dressed up in pink, just for me and my friend Robin (delirium can be a fun thing, you know).


Hookers for Hooters
The Hookers for Hooters are an absolute hoot! Their madam is a 2-time breast cancer survivor, and every year this group comes out on each of the 3 days to cheer people on.


See, I knew this event would be challenging. I knew it would be meaningful. I knew it would be fulfilling. But I had no idea it would be this HILARIOUS, or so much FUN! Just the thought of running (okay, walking) into people like these is enough to make me get up tomorrow and Keep Going for Day 3!



Check out my Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure Flickr Photo Set for more photos of Day 1 and 2! You can keep track of my progress tomorrow via Twitter and Facebook, and I'll be posting my Day 3 thoughts at the end of the day. Wish me a good night's rest, pain-free knees and a great Day 3, and I'll see you at the Finish Line!



Energizer is sponsoring my participation fee and fundraising requirement for this event, but I would love to be able to raise more for breast cancer. Please help me reach my goal of $1000! Any amount helps and is greatly appreciated. You can click on the widget below to donate to the Susan G. Komen foundation.

Help me reach my goal for the Susan G. Komen San Francisco Bay      Area 3-Day for the Cure!

3 comments:

Joy said...

I think that Hooker for Hooters woman in black spanks my husband everytime she sees him during our 3-Day in San Diego!

Linda said...

You go girl! My cousin and I are walking in San Diego the week before Thanksgiving! This is the 2nd time for both of us. I walked in Michigan in 2006 and she walked in san diego 2008. Hang in there! your doing great! This experience will be with you long after your legs and body quit aching. It's an expeience that you will carry with you for the rest of your life! Walk on!!!

Leticia- Tech Savvy Mama said...

Love all the photos and know you can do it! I can't wait to read your day 3 recap and see a picture of you at the finish line!!!