My Favorite Machine

I always knew I'd own a Kitchen Mixer. My mother owned one, and I have many happy childhood memories baking cookies and brownies and cakes with that mixer. She always said a Kitchen Aid mixer was expensive, but it would last a lifetime, and my 9-year-old self really took that to heart.

When I moved out of my parents' home in 1994 I didn't really have the space or money for a Kitchen Aid mixer, so whenever I baked anything I mixed all the ingredients together by hand. And it stayed that way for 15 years.

Baking was such a pain, but I refused to cheap out and buy a hand mixer. My mom kept telling me she would buy me a Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas, my birthday, my anniversary, Mother's Day, just pick the occasion. I can't really explain what held me back. I think I was reluctant to spend the money, or I didn't know where we would keep it, or I had convinced myself that I didn't bake enough to justify it.

All I know is, I finally took the bull by the horns and bought my Kitchen Aid mixer last December, and for the life of me I can't imagine why I waited so long. I love, love, love it! (I'd take it to bed with me, but Alfie might look at me funny). It's really a powerhouse of a machine because it takes the blah out of baking, leaving only the fun.

What makes me even happier is that The Pea loves my Kitchen Aid mixer as much as I do. She has really taken to baking with it, and can whip up a mean batch of chocolate chip cookies without my help. I'm looking to making even more happy Kitchen Aid memories with my daughter, just like my own mother did with me!



This post and photos were inspired by the Photo Hunt theme of the week: Machines. Feel free to leave links to your own Photo Hunt entries below.

No comments: