The joys of reading on your own

The boys are really making great strides towards reading on their own, thanks to Alfie's dedicated bedtime BOB-book reading and their love for Bakugan (all the more to bribe them with). They're not quite at the stage where they can read whole books on their own (except the very simple BOB books), but they can certainly read their Leapfrog Tag storybooks:



But what's really important is that they're realizing that if they can read by themselves, they don't need to wait for mama or daddy to read to them. No more having to agree on a single book with two other kids. And no more having to wait patiently beside the computer desk as mama feverishly types and mutters, "Yes, honey, I'm juuuust finishing up this blog post, then we'll go and read...." -- for ten minutes.

4 comments:

Shangrila said...

Very cool! I start teaching my kids to read at about age 4-I use the Distar method/book. :)

Native American Momma said...

those are great looking. I have an 18 month old who "reads" books all the time. hehe to get her to exercise we walk across the house and have her run back and forth to get books. I do wonder when I should introduce them. She has only partially torn one page of one of her books.

Unknown said...

My daughter absolutely loves hers! She uses the Tag so much that I even know the songs from the book already :)

Mom Union said...

Kids these days are so lucky. I wish I had these systems when my daughter was their age.