Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (FINALLY!)




I have wanted to watch Harry Potter and the Cursed Child ever since it first opened in 2016 in London's West End. That year it opened, I tried so hard to get tickets, but it was always sold out. When it opened on Broadway in 2018, I wanted to fly to New York to watch it, but could never make it happen due to cost and family/work commitments (plus, it was always sold out).

Then it opened in San Francisco in 2019, but tickets were harder to get than ever. Then COVID happened, so I forgot all about things like theater.  Fast forward to 2022. I don't know what made me revisit Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, but I decided to finally go for it. I took the boys and we watched it at the Curran Theatre, and boy was it worth the wait.


To be honest, I kind of skimmed over the script when I first read it six years ago, so I had completely forgotten the plot by the time we watched the play. All I remembered was that it was set some time after the Deathly Hallows events, Harry and the gang were all grown up, and the story centered around Harry's son Albus. Having just a vague idea of the plot worked in my favor, because I was just as surprised as 3Po and Jammy, who had not read Cursed Child at all.  

I won't spoil the plot for any would-be theatregoers, but I will say that I have never seen a play use special effects and illusions so effectively. Harry Potter lives in a magical world, and somehow the play managed to make the magic utterly real to us muggles. The story, the special effects, the actors, the music, everything was magical! We thoroughly enjoyed it and would watch it again in a heartbeat.

Photo by Ajay Suresh from New York, NY, USA - Lyric Theatre - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=80146852

No comments: